Friday, October 29, 2010

I Agree Charlie Brown

For the past week I have been obsessed with the hymn "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". Growing up I was drawn to this song and I have to say it has always been one of my favorites (along with "Oh Come all Yea Faithful" and "Oh Holy Night"). What you should probably know about me is that I am not one for Christmas traditions. I want my family to be together, that is my favorite part of every holiday. Outside of that, I enjoy some eggnog, "Charlie Brown Christmas" and, provided I haven't heard the radio very much, a metered dosage of T.S.O. Christmas to me feels like one of the least honest times of the year and like my favorite characters in the aforementioned cartoon, mourn the commercialization of Christmas. I cannot get this song out of my mind.

What is so incredible to me is how detailed and Biblical the poetry is. I linked up a few things. Take the time to just look at the lyrics and be pensive. I love what this song says about salvation and a waiting heart.

1. Oh, come, Oh, come, Emmanuel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.

2. Oh, come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

3. Oh, come, Thou Dayspring from on high,
And cheer us by Thy drawing nigh;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

4. Oh, come, Thou Key of David, come
And open wide our heavenly home:
Make safe the way that leads on high
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

http://www.lutheran-hymnal.com/lyrics/tlh062.htm

2 comments:

  1. I love that song too! And, even though there's a lot of commercialization at Christmas time, I think a lot of people also reflect on life and what's important at that time of year too. And personally, I love eggnog, family time, friends and cozy gatherings, tiny, sparkly adorable ornaments, the contrast between the dark night and the glowing lights, music about Jesus played on secular radio, candles that smell like pine, yummy food, crunchy snow and ice. To me, it's magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. December is one of my least favorite times of the year. It's incredibly cold, I'm sick of Christmas music after the first week, and people spend the entire month focused on getting gifts. I also feel that it is one least honest times of the year. Reading that really struck a chord with me. In recent years Christmas time just makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete